The Government Affairs Committee is a broad-based committee, appointed by the Board of Directors representing the sectors of the Chamber’s membership.
The Government Affairs Committee meets 1st Tuesday of each month.
1) To serve as the voice of business at all levels of government to include monitoring, drafting and advocating for legislative issues and concerns.
2) To ensure that legislative decisions taken positively impact our member’s businesses, allowing them to prosper and grow.
3) The Committee recommends policy positions on local, state and federal issues to the Executive Committee after the appropriate input from members and other stakeholders. The Executive Committee has three options:
- Affirm the position,
- Overturn the position, or
- Send the position back to the Government Affairs Committee.
If the Executive Committee affirms the committees’ recommendations, it will then send their recommendation to the Board of Directors for action at the Board level.
4) Establish and maintain a Casper Area Legislative Council. The purpose is to demonstrate a united front when promoting the greater Casper Area to elected leaders throughout the state. The Council is an opportunity to share resources and avoid duplication of efforts among the membership with respect to monitoring legislative information and events. The Council provides a means to work cooperatively.
5) Provide Information to Members
- Government Links Page on the Website
- Monthly Newsletter Articles
Chamber members have the opportunity to provide the Government Affairs Committee with a “Request for Chamber Involvement”. When emailing your request, please answer the below questions, if applicable. You will be contacted after Government Affairs meets with a status update of your request.
How does the issue directly and indirectly affect the area’s business climate?
If the issue is industry specific, how does it affect the area’s economy as a whole?
How will the Chamber’s involvement affect the issue and/or its resolution?
What is your specific request?